WHAT TO EXPECT
- They will attempt to get you to stay until it is convenient for them to let you go.
- They will appeal to guilt, and loyalty, patient and vanity.
WHAT YOU MAY HEAR FROM YOUR BOSS
- “This is really disappointing after all the opportunities we have given you.”
- This will affect the whole department. How can you do this to them?”
- “Sometimes we just don’t tell you everything that’s happening. We have been planning on promoting you next month. I was waiting for final approval before notifying you.”
- “Raises have just been approved.”
BEWARE OF COUNTEROFFERS:
According to Business Week, remedy 9 out of 10 employees that accept counteroffers have left or been asked to leave within 6 months. Why?
- They have expressed disloyalty and the company will replace them as soon as it is convenient for the company to do so.
- The promises made in the counteroffer never materialize.
- The counteroffer was everything you ever wanted, but you still report to corporate headquarters and the same politics are going on there.
CONCENTRATE ON YOUR ORIGINAL REASON FOR LOOKING AT A NEW OPPORTUNITY
- Generally it was not monetary and even if they offer you a few dollars more, the original dissatisfaction still exists.
ASK YOURSELF THESE QUESTIONS :
- What were the circumstances that caused me to consider a change?
- What will cause these factors to change if I accept a counteroffer?
- Have my career and life goals become altered during this period?
- Why did I have to resign for my company to recognize my worth?
If you intend to stay, don’t resign. If you resign, don’t stay!